Mon 19 Apr 2010
08-24-10 Update: A PDF of the complete novel has now been moved to the Gimmie Stuff page.
- Preface: Nervous Tremors—Dedication, TOC, and in which we eavesdrop on a conversation between strange beings.
- Chapter 1: A Last Revel—In which we are introduced to Rordan, his foster-brother Fikna, and their immediate social group.
- Chapter 2: Bungled Romance—In which two friends miss their chance for a more personal connection.
- Chapter 3: The Mirthy Mermaid—In which Rordan and Fikna embark on a journey by water together.
- Chapter 4: Nixed—In which Rordan has an encounter with the unusual.
- Chapter 5: Close Call—In which the travelers on the Mirthy Mermaid negotiate a water hazard.
- Chapter 6: An Odd Companion—In which Rordan takes a most peculiar vagrant under his wing.
- Chapter 7: Two Breakfasts—In which the brothers, with Borus in tow, consider their predicament.
- Chapter 8: Dangerous Island—In which Rordan makes discoveries both wondrous and alarming.
- Chapter 9: Bad Feelings—In which strains between the travelers start to show themselves.
- Chapter 10: Regol Coros Academy—In which a destination is reached and troubles multiply.
- Chapter 11: New Friends—In which Rordan meets the knowledgeable Glenys.
- Chapter 12: A Winning Hand—In which counsel is shared and friendships are strengthened.
- Chapter 13: Magic At The Grill—In which Rordan meets a strange being and an extraordinary songster.
- Chapter 14: The Council—In which an invitation to join a cause is extended.
- Chapter 15: Last Warning—In which a villain is revealed and Rordan makes a fearful decision.
- Chapter 16: A Brother’s Ordeal—In which Fikna sees more than he might have wished.
- Chapter 17: Nightmare Tree—In which a terrible foe demonstrates his strength.
- Chapter 18: Into The Woods—In which Glenys risks opening up to Rordan and Fikna.
- Chapter 19: A Poisoned Kiss—In which Rordan faces the sentinel of the fantom forest.
- Chapter 20: Some Secrets Come Out—In which Kea forces a decisive confrontation.
- Chapter 21: Fear Of Failure—In which Rordan is dealt a low blow, yet finds a new voice of friendship.
After three years of semi, self-directed nonlinear exploration, the current novel is ready to be shared. I’m not abrogating any of my rights by posting this material. I’m exercising them by making a creative statement in this fashion.
This is as good as I can make it given my present resources, circle of contacts, and skill level. I’ve striven to attain a level of readability that allows general standards of understanding, though I recognize and expect there will be gaps sharper and more experienced eyes will notice.
I dispute the position that if you’re not a published writer, not making a living at what you’re doing, and not up to the standards of professional markets then you’re a failure and what you’re doing is a complete waste of time.
Before you read, keep in mind that in my writing I have consciously chosen complexity over accessibility, introspection over immersion, and innovation/subversion over conventionality.
After starting with a PDF of the preface and first chapter, I’ll post a link to a chapter every few days. After the whole thing is posted, a few days later I’ll post a PDF of the complete novel. A link to that PDF will go in the Gimmie Stuff page.
This is the text for people who want a story. For those who want an object, I plan to make a physical book available by way of POD as yet to be determined. For the interested, there will likely be a limited special edition with a map, black and white illustrations, and a glossary. I’m still working on those extras. I’ll look into an ebook version too, what the hek! And if I can get my courage up I’ll make an audio file in addition, whee! All stuff, all the time.
Diamond of Darkness is a young adult fantasy adventure, teenager coming-of-age story during a time of magical upheaval. You get to hang out with Rordan the protagonist and know his thoughts while he struggles with his destiny.
As my friend Turtle would say, “Enjoy your meal!”